Saturday, May 11, 2013

A little encouragement goes a long way

Last year Daniel had a wonderful, supportive and encouraging teacher.  Daniel needed motivation from her to write.  She tried a few ideas and then got him a timer.  He happily tried to write as much as he could in that time for her.  He often wrote 1/2 a page to a page :)

This year Daniels writing had gone hill badly in the 1st term.  I spoke to his teacher (who is nearing retirement age) and suggested he may need motivation like his teacher last year gave him.  She wasnt open to the idea.  Saying that "theres a clock on the wall.  They know that when it gets to the 3 they have to have finished their writing."

I spoke to the headmaster.  I thought Daniel needed to change classes.  He wouldnt do that.  However he said he would see what he could do about Daniel and his writing.

In the 2nd week of the holidays (when I had Daniel) as well as having fun Daniel also wrote with my encouragement and help almost every day.  I knew he could do much more writing than just a sentence or two, which is what he was producing in class.

with my help


This week as we went to school we discussed what he would write about that day.  He has had a relieving teacher this week.  I really like her, she is encouraging to a lot of the students.  Many have received certificates from her for things they have done :)




The certificate has a sticker from the headmaster on it too!!  We had gone to the office to get it photocopied as Billy's private tutor wants a copy of the story for her wall.  She has known Daniel since he was a baby.  She also likes displaying children's work on the walls in her office.  I had seen the headmaster as we were on our way to get it photocopied.  I stopped him and showed him what Daniel had done :)

I hope Daniel continues to keep writing this much :)

2 comments:

  1. You are such a strong advocate for your son and a wonderful, encouraging Mum. I do hope the headmaster continues to help with encouragement, but sorry to hear the current teacher wasn't as open to ideas. It sounds like Daniel had a super teacher last year. It makes such a huge difference.

    I am really impressed with Daniel's writing that he did with your help. Well done Daniel x

    ReplyDelete