I actually got my days mixed up and took the photos and did the research on the 10th
However having done all this research I decided to let it be my entry today
This month I am taking part in a photo challenge hosted by Chantelle. To see the photos go on to my facebook page :) I will be posting them sometime this month.
Anyway todays theme was "from above". Id just finished working when I decided where to take my photo from. I felt kinda naughty as one time this was private property and may still be. However I did it - there were no signs up and I wasnt the only one there anyway. A man and son where hooning around on a motorbike on the site.
When I got home and was researching the area I interesting enough found it use to be the site of the 2nd Hukarere Native School site. Native schools were set up to provide Maori children educations in the very early days of New Zealands history post European settlement.
This particular one was set up as a boarding school for girls. The original one was mysteriously burnt down, it was situated some 2 kms away on another hill in Napier. It was run by the daughters of the first Anglican Bishop of the area - William Williams (who supported them).
The 2nd school was moved into and started to operate on 18th of July 1912. There was a formal opening on the 22nd October 1912. This new site was deemed a more roomy site. Accommodating 55 girls.
When the 1931 earthquake occurred the students were relocated to Auckland while the buildings were fixed up. A year or so on the students returned to their school.
You will recall my photo of Daniel and Pania a few days ago. The model for the statue was one of the girls whom lived at Hukarere. The statue was unveiled on 10th June 1954.
In 1969 due to financial reasons the school closed. The hostel remained open. So from 1970 to 1992 the students from the hostel walked to Napier Girls High to be educated every day just over 1 km one way (up and down hills) in all kinds of weather. Hostel life offered the chance to learn about Maori culture, Maori history and to practise and perform cultural dancing and singing as well as the spiritually side of things.
This paragraph is the memories of a student who lived there from 1981 to 1984
Nights were cold with minimal bedding and no heating. The girls all did their own washing by hand in a small old room with concrete basins. Chapel was attended every Sunday. The girls ate breakfast and dinner together in a dining room. A minimally packed lunch was provided which the girls took to school with them. The girls were allowed to make 1 phone call a week. Days started early (6am) with the ring of a loud hand bell. The girls would walk to school in 2 lines. This was after uniform inspection and picking up their lunch. They were walked to school in a babyish way by the head matron. Making sure they behaved themselves and kept in their lines. Maori Grace was said standing up before every meal time. The girls lived most of the year here only being able to go home a couple of times a year.
Continuing with the theme of the last paragraph and with a new head matron things changed a bit. In the mid 80s surprisely they were allowed to smoke if they were seniors in a specified area. TV was allowed and there was a movie night once a week too. A town visit was allowed fortnightly.
In 1992, the hostel went into recess. Most students went to what had been up until then the equative boys school. It turned co-ed for sometime. A few senior students stayed on at Hukarere though. Everyone seemed to see this move as temporary. Sure enough in 1993 the hostel opened her doors again. This time as both a school and hostel. It had a roll of 20.
Over the years the roll steadily increased. In 2001 however it was announced the buildings were no longer safe. So the school relocated (in 2003) to the present day site in what I would call an outer suburb of Napier. On the 21st October 2004 the site was sold.
Six years later this is what the site looked like. Images from google maps. Not sure if the house has always been there. It is very old though. I remember just a few years ago people living in it. It is now condemned. I still cant get over the fact of what use to be there. It would be interesting to sometime go and see if I can find any building foundations.
photos I took today
very overcast
my sources of info
http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WilThro-t1-body-d36-d2.html
http://hukarere.ac.nz/history/ there are some photos on this site that maybe of the site I am most interested in
http://www.for-the-spirit.com/hukarere.html there are some photos on this site that are from the site and one of the girl standing by the laundry area is almost exactly one of the areas I was standing in today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Aute_College




No comments:
Post a Comment